Nuclear Museum Logo
Nuclear Museum Logo

National Museum of Nuclear Science & History

James F. Schumar was a metallurgist. In 1940, he became Chief Metallurgist at Wolverine Tube Company. In that capacity, he developed procedures for cladding metallic uranium fuel rods with aluminum and a method to extrude and machine uranium for Hanford’s B Reactor and Chicago Pile-3. In 1946, he was became associate director of the Metallurgy Division at Argonne National Laboratory.

Related Profiles

J. C. Rieder

Oak Ridge, TN

J. C. Rieder worked for the J.A. Jones Construction Company.

W. E. Brewer

Oak Ridge, TN

W. E. Brewer worked for the Roane-Anderson Company.

R. K. Mason

Hanford, WA

J. M. Dawson

Research & Development/300 Area

J. M. Dawson worked at the 300 Area at Hanford during the Manhattan Project.