Jackson Square was the heart of Oak Ridge’s business district. Originally Town Center No. 1, the name Jackson Square was adopted in February 1945 as Oak Ridge moved away from military terminology. The site was one of five commercial shopping areas distributed across the Oak Ridge reservation.
Residents frequented the square on weekends and weekdays to shop at stores including Miller’s Department Store, Hall’s Shoes, Hamilton Bank, Sutton’s barbershop, and the Arcade. In addition, Jackson Square was the heart of music production and theater in Oak Ridge. The Oak Ridge Symphony, the Oak Ridge Chorus, and the Concert Band soon began giving regular performances in the Ridge Recreation Hall. The Center Theatre served as the community playhouse.
On August 14, 1945, Jackson Square was where residents celebrated the end of World War II waving the banner headlines “WAR ENDS.”